We all know travel is good for the soul, but did you know that it can also be good for your health? One study found that people who traveled were less likely to suffer from depression than those who didn’t travel. This is because traveling helps us form new relationships and get out of our regular routines, which are both key components of preventing depression.
We’ve become so accustomed to thinking of travel as something we do just for pleasure or relaxation—but it turns out there are many other benefits too!
Traveling is one of the best things that you can do for your health. It helps your physical and mental health, with many travelers saying that it’s also excellent for the soul. Many travel restrictions have been lifted and travelers are looking forward to booking flights, cruises and family vacations that were put on hold due to Covid. Getting away from the stresses of everyday life is important to protect your overall health. “Traveling provides our minds with time to relax and heal, easing worries and anxiety and improving mood” (1).
5 Ways that taking a Trip can Improve Your Health
Travel Makes You Healthier
- by decreasing blood pressure and the risks for other chronic diseases.
- Travel Relieves Stress
- by disconnecting from the everyday routines of work, school, and home for a little rest and relaxation.
- Travel Enhances Your Creativity
- by exploring new places of interests that challenges you to learn about various cultures and values, opening our minds to our own creative visions.
4.. Travel Boosts Happiness and Satisfaction
- by releasing endorphins, a hormone that produces pleasure and happiness in the body.
- Travel Lowers the Risk of Depression
- by helping you to adapt and cope to triggers that may cause depression. (2)
Traveling is good for your mind, body, and soul. It allows time for the body to rejuvenate and recuperate from our daily routines of life. It also gives us an opportunity to deal with situations that may cause stress, by stepping away from it, at least for a little while. Traveling clears our minds so that we can focus on what’s important and make memories along the way.
#MyJam: Check out song “Window Seat” by Erykah Badu for motivation to book that flight